Our latest recipe provides the perfect combination for chocolate and bourbon connoisseurs.
Bourbon and chocolate create a sublime and sophisticated flavour pairing. The bourbon enhances the aromatic notes in the chocolate while the fat in the chocolate tempers the alcohol. This combination of Tomes dark chocolate and bourbon is a match made in heaven. Enjoy an elegant taste sensation/ experience with this dark chocolate and bourbon torte.
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup Tomes dark chocolate buttons
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup fat free milk
2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup reduced fat whipped topping
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 150 °C
- Cover the bottom and sides of a 20 cm spring form pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Microwave chocolate buttons in a small microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) for 1 minute or until melted and smooth. Make sure you stir at 30-second intervals.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and egg; beat 1 minute.
- Add milk (and if desired bourbon); beat 1 minute. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended. Gradually add cocoa and flour, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until forming stiff peaks. Fold one-fourth of egg white mixture into batter; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 150°C for 45 minutes or until set. A wooden pick inserted in centre will come out with just a few crumbs on it. Remove torte from oven; immediately run tip of a small knife around edge of torte.
- Let cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Torte will rise to top of pan while baking but will sink while it cools.Remove sides of spring form pan.
- Spoon whipped topping into a zip-lock plastic freezer bag. Do not seal. Snip one corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe dollops of whipped topping around base of torte. Sprinkle torte with icing sugar and cocoa.