It’s time to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! And there’s no better way than with a delicious, melt in your mouth classic gooey brownie – with a twist to bring you the luck of the Irish. It’s layered with peppermint and chocolate ganache to hit all those sweet spots! This brownie recipe takes about 30 minutes of prep time and 25 minutes of actual baking.
- 4 Squares (just about 30 gram) Chocolates by Tomes 60% semi sweet chocolate
- 1 cup softened margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups icingsugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- 2 Tbsp milk (or as needed)
- 1 ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 6 drops green food colouring
- 1⅓ cup Chocolates by Tomes chocolate (230 gram, broken in pieces)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Start by preheating the oven to 175°C. Grease a baking tray (23 – 33cm).
- Melt down the semisweet chocolate with either a double-boiler or in a microwaveable bowl. Stir at 15 second intervals until chocolate is smooth and creamy. Transfer the mixture to a larger bowl and stir in the margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in each egg slowly before adding the vanilla. Stir in the flour until mixture is well combined and then pour the batter into the prepared dish.
- Bake in the oven until the top starts to crack and the sides pull away from the baking tray. This will take approximately 20 to 25 minutes. It is perfectly normal for the brownie to be more cake-like in the centre. Remove from oven and cool in the tray over a wire rack.
- To prepare the middle layer, beat half a cup of butter with confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add the milk until it is a spreadable consistency, before stirring in the peppermint extract and green food colouring. Spread the prepared mixture over the cooled brownie and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In another microwaveable bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the butter until smooth consistency. Stir in the vanilla extract andquickly pour over the chilled brownies and spread to cover the surface. Place in the fridge once again to firm up, for about 10 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!